PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
Internet/cell service is unreliable in Marble and Google Maps is inaccurate so PRINT THIS PAGE BEFORE YOU DRIVE AND BRING THE HARD COPY WITH YOU!
Marble Lodge on the Beaver Lake Retreat
105 E Marble Street
Marble, CO 81623
NOTE: If you reach Beaver Lake itself you have missed the EAST 3rd Street Left turn and must back-track to East 3rd Street and then to East Hill Street.
DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE MAPS—WE’RE MOSTLY OFF THE GRID.
Reminders: Carbondale (from north) and Paonia (from south) are the last towns with ordinary gas stations and grocery stores. Fill up and buy whatever food, snacks or other provisions that fit your plan, and avoid needless trips back out to shop. Drink lots of water and consider taking a few aspirin the day of travel to thin the blood…it works wonders at preventing altitude “sickness,” a tired and headachy feeling that effects some people coming from elevations below 5000 ft. The elevation of Marble is 8,000 feet.
- Camera with a telephoto lens
- Swimsuit/trunks for the hot tub or canoeing
- Light hiking boots or sturdy walking shoes (snow boots in winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, and a brimmed hat
- Small daypack and a non-leak water bottle
- Hooded jackets, gloves, thick wool socks, clothes to dress in layers (even summer alpine weather and temperature differentials vary greatly with ascent or decent in elevation and day and night).
- Fishing license and gear, compass, and maps for serious wilderness exploring
- Rocky Mountain bird and wildflower guide books
- Stories to read or tell around the fireplace or campfire
- Musical instruments
- One thin file of paperwork from office or school (not to really look at, but just for assuaging any latent guilt you might feel when getting away to Marble Lodge on Beaver Lake Retreat).